KD2JZT

Last year I took an interest in amateur radio. That means I'm a Ham, a.k.a. a licensed amateur radio transmitter/station operator. No one is quite sure why we're called Hams. Legend has it that when early telegraphers were listening to transmissions from amateur radio operators, their morse code was so faulty someone said, 'they must have hams for fingers,' and the name stuck

I started by purchasing and installing a CB Radio in my car, complete with a 4' antenna on the roof. But, CBs aren't too powerful, and most of the bands (i.e. wavelengths/stations/channels) are filled with truckers and prosthelytizers. 

So, I set my sights on the Amateur Radio License, a requirement for transmitting on most amateur bands. I took a 10 week class and finally took and passed the Amateur exam. The next two levels are General and Amateur Extra, which require their own tests and allow additional privileges.

I don't own a transceiver yet for my 'home station' but my call sign is KD2JZT, so if you're ever on the airwaves and hear that callsign, you'll know it's me. 

Comments

Popular Posts